Wednesday, February 4, 2009

When 1:45 = 2:30

I was definitely ready for my workout this evening.  I spent most of the day in the car driving just to Mundelein (just north of Chicago) for work.  Needless to say when I got home I was ready to hit the gym and get it over with... you can't look forward to all of them.  

I had been planning on doing just under 2 hours... 1:15 swim and :45 run... but I didn't look at the schedule close enough.  It was 1:15 of each.  This may not seem like too much of a curveball but let me say that when you are planning on a certain time it can be tough to swallow an extra :45.  But for every workout that I dread there is the feeling of satisfaction when it's over.  There's something about gritting through the pain, boredom, soreness, fatigue, etc. that makes you feel like you've really done something worthwhile.

On a separate note, I would like to put it out there... swimming is definitely my least favorite of the 3 disciplines.  A quick list of reasons why swimming is not my favorite thing:
  1. I have the feeling that whenever I jump in the pool I am swimming through other people's urine.
  2. My hair now has the consistency of straw.
  3. Can you say "Ashy?"
  4. Awkward locker room convo's.
  5. The many, many children that go to the aquatic center each night.
  6. The feeling that I'm like a hamster running on a wheel...
Alright, a couple of things quickly before I "sign off."  

Last night there was a "meet and greet" at Jade/Whisper Cycles... or "The Shop" as it will now be known.  I got a chance to meet some of the other athletes that Jim is sponsoring.  In particular I was pretty excited to speak with Matt Smith, a local uber triathlete.  He gave me some advice on nutrition which I will now start experimenting with trying to dial everything in.  He also gave me some reassurance that sticking to my training plan will get me where I need to be!  Thanks Matt!

Secondly, I decided today that I won't be registering for Tri Del Sol.  Instead, I'm going to do a Half IM... the Muncie Endurathon.  I think that it will be a better prep. race for me.  It'll give me an indication of where I'm at and the biggest thing is that I'll have an idea of where my nutrition is at.  For those of you who aren't aware, nutrition is huge for longer distance racing.  You need to make sure that you are staying hydrated, getting enough electrolytes, carbs, etc. etc.

Last and most importantly is something that I forgot to mention yesterday.  Most of you know that Gwen is in nursing school now and will be done this Spring.  She's been extremely, extremely busy... busy in a way that I couldn't ever imagine.  Anyway, I think it goes without saying that without her support and understanding I wouldn't be able to even begin to think about doing an IM.  

Alright, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment