Friday, February 6, 2009

The Search for the Ultimate Playlist

Living in Michigan at this time of year means that I have to log a lot of training hours on the treadmill or on the trainer. This can result in a really, really boring and monotonous workout. To combat these effects I do one of two things: a. I listen to my iPod or b. I throw a DVD (usually the X-Files… unless it’s dark in the basement… you’d be surprised how easily your mind begins to wander and the next thing you know you feel like someone is standing behind you… but that’s a different post altogether). As a general rule I don’t like to workout with the iPod… or any other electronic device. It breaks things up but I think that it can be really distracting and in the end most events don’t let you use one anyway so I figure it’s best to train without. However, I haven’t found a good way to break up the indoor workouts without watching a DVD or listening to music so I guess it’s the lesser of two evils.

A couple of nights ago while watching “Twin Peaks” our DVD player crapped out on us. This meant that when doing my bike workout yesterday my only option was to throw on the iPod. I have a couple of playlists that I created for working out but I’ve listened to them so many times that I have started to hate them. As a result of this I typically hit shuffle and hope for the best. This can either be really great (when “Fight Like a Brave” pops on while I’m in the middle of working my way towards my max rpm or “Killing in the Name Of” at anytime) or really, really, really bad (nothing is more deflating than Tom T. Hall coming on in the middle of a sprint… and don’t ask why I have Tom T. Hall on my iPod).

In lieu of this I am working on creating the ultimate workout playlist. I firmly believe that this is one of those unachievable dreams. I’ve been down this road before and I always end up putting on a song I think is great but just doesn’t work for me (i.e. Metallica’s – “Enter Sandman”). There is also the overplay effect which I mentioned above. But alas, I’m trying. So help a brother out and leave a comment and let me know if you think I should add something in!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm... Try Nick and Norah's... I hear its "infinite..."

    ReplyDelete