Saturday, May 16, 2009

Big Weekend

This weekend is shaping up to be a big one.  Today I did a TT on the track at the middle school down the road and then a 10 mile TT on the bike.  The winds were hellacious today but I was happy to see small improvements overall.  Tomorrow I will be heading towards Brighton with Gwen to train with some fellow MI Bt'ers (beginnertriathlete.com).  There will be a sprint distance and olympic distance course mapped out and we're all going to head out and get a nice day in!  I'm really excited about this as it will give me an opportunity to break in my wetsuit as well as do my first triathlon of the year.  I'll throw up a post tomorrow reviewing it and will have some great pictures I'm sure.  

This week was a decent week overall.  My total hours were down for the week because of the "testing" that was called for in the plan and this was a welcome change.  My allergies have been killing me lately and it doesn't seem like the medication I'm on is doing anything.  There is a constant "tickle" or soreness in my throat/chest and it is driving me absolutely nuts.  That on top of a constantly stuffy nose makes for lovely training days... at any rate, I'm hoping that it will either get better or that I'll get used to it in the near future.

I set my T-Time in the pool again this week.  I dropped 10 seconds overall from my time which equals a 1 second drop in the t-time.  I'm sitting at 00:01:44 right now.  The pool that I swim at has been closed (or has changed hours) the last couple of weeks to accommodate some work that has been going on so I haven't been in the pool as much as I would have liked.  Because of this, I'm pretty satisfied with my new time.

This morning I woke up and jumped onto the internet to watch the Giro d'Italia.  I'm glad that coverage is available online but kind of bummed out that the American networks aren't covering it at all.  Anyway, I watched that and then got ready for my running time trial.  I may have explained this before but basically I run 3 miles on the track and log the time it takes for each mile.  My time this week improved by over 10 seconds from the TT last month so I was pretty happy about that.  Here's the breakdown:

Mile 1- 7:20
Mile 2- 7:22
Mile 3- 7:25
Overall- 22:07

I'm still running a little slower than I want to be at this point.  The main thing that I am concerned about is that I have a really hard time running negative splits unless I really back off on the first mile.  This is something that I'm going to have to continue to work on.

The 10 mile TT on the bike was done about an hour and a half after the run.  Typically I break these types of "testing" days into two separate workouts (at least that is what my plan calls for) but because of the tri tomorrow in Brighton I smushed them into one day.  This may have had an affect on the overall time on the bike but I think that the biggest factor in my time today was the hellacious winds.  On my way out I had a vicious crosswind that was pushing me all over.  On the way back in the crosswind became a headwind.  Overall, my time was about half a minute faster than it was last month... so again, considering the conditions, I was pretty happy.  Here's the breakdown:

Time- 00:29:21
Avg. MPH- 20.5
Avg. Cadence- 93

So... that's it for now.  One more thing though... yesterday Gwen signed us up to volunteer at the Girls on the Run Celebration 5K.  It was cold, windy, and rainy and I didn't really want to do it but once we got out there it was a blast!  What an awesome, awesome, organization GOTR is.  Those girls were so happy to be running the 5K... and it was crazy to see them do it!  These are 3-5 grade girls (the majority)!!!! Over 500 participants showed up yesterday and it was worth it to cheer them all on.  On a side note I saw a lot of familiar faces there as Jade/Whisper Cycles was providing support on the bikes.  They did leadout/follow-up for the girls.  At any rate, it was really cool and I was excited to be a part of it (even for only 1 day).  Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  Check back tomorrow evening for the MI BT Tri post!

1 comment: